Coromandel Valley Primary School became a Science Active School in 2023 for their commitment and dedication to Science Education, and their involvement with and support of SASTA.
As a Science Active School, Coromandel Valley Primary School have contributed to SASTA through:
- Currently hold a SASTA Corporate membership
- Participating in the Oliphant Science Awards
- A member of staff volunteering as a judge for the Oliphant Science Awards
- SASTA committee participation in the Oliphant Science Awards and Member Services Reference Group
- Staff member attendance at the SASTA annual conference.
- Had a submission printed in the SASTA Journal, blog and newsletter
- Presented at a SASTA conference
Science teacher, Sarah Todd shares some of the science programs that are happening in their school.
Currently we are running a Youth Environmental Leadership Program where students are partnered with Green Adelaide, to help bring the bandicoots back to Frank Smith Park. We were on a BTN episode sharing our project and also celebrated a win in the Oliphant Science Awards new citizen science category for it.
Check out the winning project and BTN episode here.
We installed a native bee and butterfly garden late in 2022 and had Gondwana Landscaping and Consultancy to help prepare for this.
We actively participate in the Birds in Schools program and participated in 2023's Aussie bird count.
We are also involved with CSIRO's STEM professionals in schools program. Dr Declan Page, our STEM professional visits us fortnightly to engage in scientific material that is connected to the students curriculum.